PhoenixNAP’s mission is to provide outstanding value and service, using state of the art technology while continuously improving out technical and human assets. It is through these methods that we are able to maintain an incredibly response experience that puts customer needs first. We remove the stress from IT management so our customers can focus on their core business.
A Data Center Technician is the technical liaison between the technology teams, customer and the 24×7 Data Center Environment. As a data center technician, you will be responsible for providing on-site data center escalation support for mission-critical equipment. You can provision and troubleshoot a range of data center infrastructure components including, but not limited to hardware, fiber, networking, servers, NAS, and related equipment. You are efficient at collaborating and troubleshooting complex technical issues through Chat, Phone, and Email. You know how to innovate and make decisions on your own, but also know how to take direction when it is given, paying attention to all details involved. Expected to improve current processes and introduce automation with aim towards simplification.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Must be able to work long shifts including nights and weekends. Must have demonstrated expertise in enterprise hardware installation, troubleshooting and repair in two or more of these areas:
- Directly support and complete all scheduled data center MACs (Moves/Adds/Changes) for all tickets, emails & chats.
- Hardware installation, including device labeling, power connectivity and network cable connectivity.
- Complete hardware support work orders involving hardware, cabling, troubleshooting and break-fix.
- Provide smart-hands assistance as required for customers within specified SLA response times.
- Maintain a safe and secure operating environment within the data center and report any violations to their immediate supervisor.
- Detailed and thorough documentation and record keeping.
- Strong working knowledge with server and network hardware/components.
- Data center productivity and support tools, applications, and software including but not limited to (Windows, Linux, SSH, RDP, Putty, KVM, IPMI, Terminal, etc.)
- Provide vendor and client escorts as needed.
- Provide general cleaning on raised floor, cabinet/rack exterior surfaces, work benches and other areas as needed on a regular basis.
- Provide status reporting regarding Data Center service availability, performance, capacity utilization as required.
- Must be self-motivated, detail oriented, positive in approach, professional and help create, develop, and implement project process improvement(s).
- General knowledge of server/network equipment and software support configurations.
- Basic understanding of data center power distribution and data center best practices.
- Strong aptitude for independent working environment and high productivity rate.
- Must possess proven problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to see tasks through to completion.
- Must be able to work from a ladder, in confined spaces, lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to sit, stand, kneel or squat for long periods of time.
- Is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and multi-tasking
- Must be able to see and distinguish different colors, read small print, and hear and recognize audible signals such as server tones.
- Must possess at least a High School diploma or GED equivalency.
- Two (2) years’ minimum of data center experience.
- Excellent communication and customer relationship skills.
- Any server, OS, Network, or data center certifications are a plus.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word & Excel.